Tuesday 6 December 2016

The Autumn months

It's been hard to find the time to write on here, lazy as that sounds. Sometimes you just don't have it in you to share the nonsense that makes up your life. It's hard to find the right words or life just doesn't seem to have been interesting at all. From the start of September I start preparing work wise for the festive season that will arrive ever so quickly. I had an awful backlog of accounts to deal with before I even started that so it was with a hurrah that they were finished and sent off to the accountant. 

Then it was time to make lists of packaging supplies and beads that I would hopefully need in the coming months. I do like to have the cupboard full of the essentials. It's hard to anticipate how busy the festive season will be, you can only go on previous years sales.This year I introduced a new rule that will hopefully make it less stressful for me. I used to list more items that I had made, so each day was a catch up to make and pack orders. This year I'm only listing what is already made and have told myself it's OK to be out of stock for a day or so. We'll see how this works out, but it already feels less stressful in my head!


So the Autumn months are my absolute favourite. Misty mornings, the colour of leaves and berries, that nip in the air along with the caramel, earthy, spicy leaf smell. An abundance of free foods from the hedgerows was an added bonus. Lots of blackberry crumbles and some hedgerow jam that tastes of the season. Now for lots of Autumnal photos which sum it all up much better than words can........













It was a truly stunning Autumn. The leaves seemed to stay on the trees much longer as  we had none of the usual October storms. The colour change was more gradual and vibrant and so many berries of all descriptions. Each morning was a delight, whether misty or frosty and there were few grey dull days to be seen at all. It was an intense colour parade to get us through the next through months I think.


We also had the chimney swept, so it was ready for the much anticipated roaring fires. 


 


I still enjoy going outside and watching the brush pop out of the chimney, takes me back to being a girl in the cottage I grew up in.


Of course this year there was new addition to the household in the form of little Tom. He was so very poorly to start with and so small, my heart went out to this bundle of warm fur. I really did have every intention of re-homing him, we have more than enough cats, but just as he reached the ten week mark he would not stop sneezing. I know it's only a part of the chlamydia he came with working its way out of his system, but I also couldn't re-home a poorly cat. Even at the vets he had gone under the generic 'kitten' we use for all my waifs and strays as I said he wasn't staying. But here he is attacking my pen on the desk and inspecting everything else as I write. He is a very good chap and has a lot of ladies worldwide on Instagram who love him, even a fairy godmother Maxine @dorothysparkleshoes, how could I part with him! He seems to be finding his place in what we call the 'general pop' and is friends with some and gets a bop on the head with others.
He was really bad at washing his face.


He thinks he is an expert at making markers

He has far too much of an interest in the fire for my liking, hence the guard is up.

He has done so well from such a poor start, it makes me so happy to see him grow up into such a content little cat.


On the project front I finished my first crochet project Lucy's harmony blanket. I was so chuffed as I had fell in love with this a while ago and just knew I had to make one. It was excellent practice all those squares to get the right tension and her tutorials are so good with the step by baby steps, even a novice can follow. I've already started on another blanket a mixture of the harmony square and her cosy stripe as I've gifted the harmony to my sister. I was asked if I felt sad giving away such a large item, but the truth is that its a double enjoyment. Firstly you get the fun of making it and then again giving it to someone who knows just how much hard work you put into it and who will love it. 

Nothing else has been on my needles, I seem to have lost my knitting Mojo and found a crochet one. That's not to say I'm not planning lots of knitted things, but I just want to crochet the world for now which seems to be how it goes once you learn. In actual fact there is yet another blanket quietly emerging in the happy flower granny square as it seems one blanket clearly is not enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment