Wednesday 31 August 2016

July & August

I seem to be getting behind with these posts but there have been serious internet issues, like not having any. Who would have though we would rely on it so much? I know I use it to run my business but I often use it as  source of inspiration, to keep in touch or to shop. Not to mention watching Netflix or downloading games for the Xbox. Hopefully all is solved now and in fact we've hard wired where possible to rule out flaky WiFi.

A very nice man came in the end, popped me in a new router and touch wood...all has been well. In some respect it was good to be forced to have a little digital holiday . To only look at what is relevant or important rather than mindlessly saving gorgeous pins on Pinterest for an afternoon! But that was the start of month, I'm back to my naughty surfing ways again, and I'm completely taking the internet for granted!

What have these two months been full of? Sunshine, lots of it and it's been wonderful to experience a full on summer. There has been enough rain to keep it pretty green but I can't think of many days I haven't worn sandals or had to wear a coat. Dog walks have been earlier and earlier because of the heat but have also lead to some magical misty mornings and sunshine pouring through the trees. I never get tired of it and to have walked the same paths for a year now and to experience the roll of the seasons is a true blessing.




Apart from sunshine I've allowed my self a little time off for jaunts to Bath and I was even treated to a trip out on the Harley. I do love zooming about the countryside with the roar of that engine in my ears. Vehicles of some sort featured in my life form an early age. Lorries, tractors, cars, bikes, my dear dad was a lover of transport new and old and we experienced them all as kids.




 There may have been a small purchase.....

 Crochet! Crochet! Crochet!


The field with its curlers in.

What else was new? Oh my goodness, the most amazing thing...learning to crochet at last! Had a brilliant giggly, girly crafty day with my friend Jo @dancinggoatcrafts, where we dyed yarn and talked so much I'm surprised our tongues didn't fall off .


I was sat down on the sofa and told not to get up until I'd made a granny square and lo and behold the one stick hooky thingy clicked in my knitty brain and I was off. Ta-dah!!!



I love it. It is the best ever to be able to finally create all the things I have longed after. Now there is conflict between knitting projects and crochet ones! What a terrible choice to make?! I even managed to produce one decent square just in time for Granny Square day 2016...I was so proud and so encouraged by all my lovely IG friends...thank you all!





I have been  good and tried to get ready for the ever creeping closer festive season, by getting ahead with stock, but I must confess there have been plenty of early finish afternoons to crochet or knit. But if that isn't a perk of being your boss what is the point? There will be plenty of rainy days ahead when I can catch up...at least that's what I tell myself.



The cauldron has been out, still learning lots about dye and different bases. This is going to be a long term love affair and I'm trying to write down everything I do and also to try and re-create it so I can have recipes...but it doesn't always go to plan. I don't think there has been an out and out disaster yet but no doubt there will be at some point.



Lemon curd. Goodness me, how delicious is homemade curd? So easy, so quick and so fattening...perfect!



8 oz sugar
4 oz Butter/ margarine
3 lemons
3  beaten eggs

Finely grate the lemons trying to avoid the pith.
Place butter (I used margarine, it didn't set as hard but tasted fine) with sugar in a bowl over a pan of very hot but not boiling water and stir until melted.
Add lemon rind and juice of 2 or 2 1/2 lemons depending on your taste and eggs and stir until starting to coat the back of a wooden spoon. I didn't think it would happen and I wandered off to check the recipe to see and it had thickened , so keep at it. It does set in the jar so it doesn't need to be stiff in the bowl.
Pour into sterilised jars and lick the bowl where you have left an adequate amount for quality control testing!

Lime is just as good too apparently.


Well the Great British bake off has started again.........





The fireplace has looked like this....which brings me to something Jo said.  I wouldn't want anyone to be under the illusion that I engineer a lot of my photos to portray a particular way of life......no really apart from some minor tweaking (like moving the fire guard) what you see is what you get...dust and all! 

I know it can be a terrible pitfall of social media to look at other lives and wish it were your own, but you often find the lifestyle portrayed isn't the one actually lived. I don't want anyone to feel dissatisfied with their own life by looking at mine. It's all about finding happiness in the little things within your own world. I'm all for keeping it real. I don't live in a country cottage, only a run of the mill 1930's semi detached in a tiny cul-de-sac. I have to walk 10 mins to reach the meadows and woods  where I walk the dogs and they are hemmed in on all side by roads, the railway line and factories. 

But there is magic everywhere, you just have to truly look. I gave up another business to do this full time which was utterly scary and very sad but life is too short not to try and its too damn short to be unhappy! If you have one, chase your dream. One day you will catch it and you will never look back. It took me a long time to get here but I am thankful every day.






How could I forget penny rugs?



I am in love with primitive folk art, it just sings to my soul and because it's art it doesn't have to be perfect as wonky is part of the charm. Invented by enterprising women of North America in the 1800's as a way of creating runners, wall hangings and bedspreads from old clothes and rugs. Called penny after the old penny piece that was used as a template for cutting circles. 

I think fuzzy felts at primary school have a lot to do with this new fascination..... those sheep, now I think about it look vaguely familiar!

The 'rugs' are often used as runners or candle mats and just think of the seasonal opportunities?! I have seen some fantastic Autumn ones....hmmmm.



I was asked to to my first ever test knit by Shelagh @craftytyke of her wonderful making waves shawl. There is a definite rhythm to the pattern as you knit back and forth creating the waves. The yarn is from the talented Helen at Yantanthethera yarns and is knitting like a dream and I'm loving the nepp.








It was my niece Charlotte's birthday so I dyed a merino yarn in her favourite colours and then whipped her up a scarf for the impending cooler days. I love how fast these asymmetrical scarves knit up, perfect for last minute gifts...as I'm not that organised.

Gardens........
Can you just smell the sweet peas? 


My sister has come up a winner with her cutting garden this year. She has produced the most amazing flowers in her first year, she really has flowery green fingers.


There she is! Dead heading her flowers.



I am so proud of what she has all grown from seed this year. These beds haven't even been here a year and they have produced so well. There have been lessons learned, plants eaten  but in all it's been a huge success for her. 



My garden is very shady thanks to a huge weeping willow next door, but I do manage to grow nice hanging baskets and I treated myself to solar lights too.


Freyja, monbretia and geraniums



My golden hop has gone bonkers this year. I think I' going to try and dry it for a swag...exactly what I need a something else to catch dust!


Dogs did things like this..............





And finally the crafty cats did things like this..............


 and this...
Got into boxes.

 Kept me company as I worked

Claimed new things for me for themselves

 Brought me presents I have no use for (the frog was OK, he was only playing dead and won an Oscar for his performance).


Climbed into yet more boxes

And spied on me from the bushes!

 Have a lovely September everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment